Essex Savings Bank announces community investment program winners

By Essex Savings Bank Press Release • 05/10/2021 10:44 AM EST

Essex Savings Bank is pleased to announce that through its Community Investment Program (CIP), the bank will distribute $147,748 to support local non-profit organizations and civic groups in 2021.

President and CEO Gregory R. Shook said, “The bank is pleased to be able to make funds available in light of the challenges the COVID-19 pandemic has had on our community.

The bank’s CIP provides up to 10% of its net income and allocates 30% of the funds to customers voting for three of their favorite participating nonprofits in an annual ballot. The remaining 70% of the funding is distributed by directors, senior executives, branch managers and the bank’s wholly-owned subsidiary, Essex Financial Services, Inc. Through its CIP, the bank has donated 5 million dollars to hundreds of local non-profit organizations since its inception.

Throughout February, customers were able to vote for their three favorite nonprofits through its annual customer voting initiative. These results include 64 organizations receiving a total of $57,000.

The Shoreline Soup Kitchen & Food Pantries, which received the most votes each year it entered, again received the most votes resulting in the largest monetary prize, over $6,500.

The top 10 organizations included organizations whose missions support low-income people, animals, emergency services, and support for young and old and received a combined total of nearly $24,000. In addition to these donations, many bank employees volunteer their time and expertise to nonprofit organizations both as official board members and volunteers.

Essex Savings Bank has six offices, including two in Essex and one in Chester, Madison, Old Lyme and Old Saybrook.

Essex Savings Bank Customer Voting Results

Organization: Votes, Reward

The Shoreline Soup Kitchens & Pantries, Inc.: $552.6,565

Forgotten Felines, Inc.: $239.2,842

Valley Shore Animal Welfare League: $220, $2,616

Children’s Bikes, Inc.: $189.2,248

Estuary Council of Seniors, Inc. — Meals on Wheels: $173, $2,057

High Hopes Therapeutic Riding, Inc.: $143, $1,701

Tait’s Every Animal Matters (TEAM): $133.1,582

Ivoryton Playhouse Foundation, Inc.: $124, $1,475

Camp Hazen YMCA: $115, $1,368

Essex Fire Engine Company No. 1: $110.1,308

Pet Connections, Inc.: $107.1,272

Deep River, Inc. Fire Department: $100, $1,189

Old Saybrook Fire Department No. One, Inc.: $100, $1,189

Essex Land Trust: $98.1165

Chester Historical Society: 91, $1,082

Deep River Ambulance Association, Inc.: $86.1,023

Friends of Hammonasset: $84.999

The Essex Library Association, Inc.: $83,987

Lyme Ambulance Association, Inc.: $83,987

Ivoryton Library Association: $82,975

Valley Coast YMCA: $81,963

Lyme Fire Company: $80,951

Former Lyme, Inc. Fire Department: $66,785

The Katherine Hepburn Cultural Arts Center, Inc. (The Kate): $63,749

Deep River Historical Society, Inc.: $62,737

Madison Ambulance Association, Inc.: $61,725

Common Good Gardens, Inc.: $60,714

Chester Land Trust: $59,702

Connecticut Cancer Foundation, Inc.: $57,678

The Connecticut River Museum at Steamboat Dock: $57,678

Brian House of Chester: $56,666

Region 4 Education Foundation: $55,654

Westbrook Project Graduation, Inc.: $55,654

Westbrook Youth and Family Services, Inc.: $55,654

Essex Historical Society, Inc.: $54,642

Lyme Land Conservation Trust, Inc.: $52,618

Lymes Youth Services Bureau: $52,618

Old Lyme Visiting Nurse Association, Inc.: $50,595

Old Saybrook Land Trust, Inc.: $50,595

SARAH, Inc.: $50,595

Community Music School: $48,571

Friends of Essex Library: $48,571

Pandemonium Rainforest, Inc. Project: $43,511

Old Saybrook Historical Society: $39,464

Angel Charities, Inc.: $37,440

Essex, Inc. Community Fund: $36,428

Lyme Public Hall & Local History Archives, Inc.: $36,428

Pettipaug Junior Sailing Academy, Inc.: $36,428

Hope Partnership, Inc.: $35,416

Ivorton Village Alliance: $35,416

Sailing Masters of 1812 Fife and Drum Corps, Inc.: $34,404

Lyme Art Association, Inc.: $33,392

Old Lyme Land Trust, Inc.: $33,392

Act II Thrift Shop, Inc.: $28,333

Sister Cities Essex Haiti, Inc.: $28,333

Cappella Cantorum, Inc.: $25,297

Ruth Ann Heller Music Foundation, Inc.: $20,238

Old Lyme, Inc. Children’s Learning Center: $19,226

Lymes, Inc. Senior Housing (Lymewood): $17,202

Friends of Madison Youth, Inc. d/b/a The Barn: $16,191

Friends of Deep River Public Library, Inc.: $16,191

Old Lyme Historical Society, Inc.: $16,191

Cultural exchange between young Brazilians and Americans (BRAYCE): $15,178

Deep River PTO Elementary School, Inc: $13,156

Jill E. Washington